Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Being a Better Mom



I recently heard a story about Dr. Jane Goodall's mother when Jane was a little girl. I can't stop thinking about it. It's haunting me; like when I saw that bumper sticker that simply said, "Love wins." Am I this kind of mom? Honestly? No. I want to be. I need to be. My girls need me to be.

When Dr. Goodall was five years old her mother came into her room to tuck her into bed for the night. She saw that Jane had also tucked some worms into bed with her. Her mother's response is amazing. What would I have done? Flipped. "What are you thinking?! Get these things out of your bed and out of my house!" But Mrs. Goodall had no knee-jerk reaction. She calmly explained to her tender-hearted daughter that if the worms stayed with her they would die. They needed to be in their own environment to live. That had a profound impact on that little girl that she never forgot.

So today I'm vowing to be more conscious of my girls intentions and motivations. No more knee-jerk reactions. Well, fewer anyway.

(Okay, I just realized that the title and the picture are pretty funny together. ha! I didn't intend it that way!)

7 comments:

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

oh! When I read that story I thought "ouch" because I don't think I would have reacted that way either. In fact I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have. I think we all do pretty good, but I think we could all do a little better too.

LOVE YOU!

Lisa Y. said...

I think you're a great mom! But we can all find ways to be better. Thanks for posting again...I missed reading you!

mrc-w said...

Wow that is a cool story. I would probably freak about the worms though!! I can't help it, they are just creepy!!

Kulio said...

Haunting is a great word - it's just like you're being sent a message - and people who get these messages aren't people who need improvement more than everyone else, they're the people who listen and really can change. Beautiful!

Kelle said...

I love the stories that "stick" with us. I am SO conscious now of everything I say and do..."Am I building her confidence?" "Am I showing love?" "Am I a good example?" ...but babies are easy. I can't imagine how challenging being a good mom gets when they're older. You are such a good example. Speaking of stories that stick with you...you've already been an example to me. Your own story of how you went above and beyond to make the best birthday party for Tessa last year when it was a difficult time to do that. I think about that all the time...what a good mom you were to do that. You are my "Jane Goodall's mom". Love you.

Lisa Y. said...

Please post again soon...I think you're cool!