Saturday, March 8, 2008

Dollars for Darfur

My oldest is the co-president of the National Junior Honor Society at her middle school. For a fundraiser in February, they organized a school-wide Penny War with all the money going to Darfur. I'm not sure they knew what they were getting into, but I'm proud of them all the same. Yesterday a bunch of kids brought over all the jugs from the classrooms to start counting all the coinage. Yowza! What a job!

If you don't know what a Penny War is I'll try to explain it. Each homeroom class collects as many pennies as possible. But to sabotage other classes, you can put in other forms of money,


and that amount is subtracted from their pennies. So if you put a quarter in another classroom's jug, then 25 pennies are subtracted from their total. It's a really great way for the kids to get excited about raising money.



But as you can see, it's quite a job to count it all. Wanna come over and help?














3 comments:

mrc-w said...

Penny wars! Now there is a war I can support. My roommate just organized a penny war to raise money for some vet-school project and she and her friends had to count all the money, haha :)

Carin said...

I've never seen so many pennies! How kind of you to help! Looks like Chloe is a little leader!

JoannCryderman said...

Oh, I didn't help! I just housed the project. ha! Nope. Never counted one penny.