Monday, September 15, 2008

Esperanza

Once in a great while you come across someone exceptional. extraordinary. sensational. incredible. A few months ago a friend saw her on David Letterman and sent me the youtube link to watch. Normally I don't really care for the musical guests on Letterman's show. But knowing this friend, knowing her taste, and knowing that she knows me, I was eager to watch and listen, knowing I would not be disappointed. But what I didn't know was that I would be entranced. She was amazing. I immediately started searching on youtube for more. I couldn't get enough.

So you can imagine my reaction when I read on her website that she was going to be performing at the Detroit International Jazz Festival over Labor Day weekend. We went together, my friend and me. We got there early and sat in the front row. We watched her and her band set up.





And we listend through her soundcheck.

She is such an amazing talent, this petite, beautiful girl.



If you've never heard Esperanza, you must search her on youtube, and go to her website http://www.esperanzaspalding.com/

I couldn't resist taking this picture.

Be on the lookout for this one. She's sure to be a household name someday. Go buy her disc!

2 comments:

Kulio said...

Wow, you got SUCH great pictures!!! I'm so glad we sat right smack up front - haha - sometimes you just gotta. Thanks for taking me along!!!

That 'no photos' pic is hilarious.

mrc-w said...

Awesome - love it!